Thursday 25 April 2013



Get Away Don't Jet Away


   I haven’t written in a while due to the massive amount of course work I’ve had from uni, it’s all been a bit non-stop really. And it hasn’t quite stopped just yet, however I can justify this study break/ blog sesh due to the fact my box of chocolate figures has just ran out.


Apart from constant filmmaking, essay writing and exam revision I somehow managed to squeeze in a visit to the Isle of Mull and Iona with my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was a pretty random destination but I’m so glad we went and to be honest, I was totally amazed at how far away from Edinburgh it felt, when in actual fact we were just a three hour car journey away.
We were there for just two nights, staying in Tobermory (constantly keeping an eye out for any Balamory celebs, sadly saw none), in a really sweet B&B that overlooked the harbour. On our arrival we went to explore the village and got some pub grub. Upon entering the pub a man smashed my drink out of my hand by accident, this was swiftly followed by a large woman face-planting the floor where my drink had been split and an awkward silence fell upon the room, all eyes on me... Charlotte had arrived on the island.





On our second day we decided to go to Iona, looking at the map we worked out it would take us just over an hour to get to Fionnphort by car, little did we know this would in fact take us ALL DAY. The winding roads and constant sheep hold-ups were mostly responsible for our delay, that and the fact David wanted to shoot his home-made bow and arrow at every flat out space of land we passed. We did make it eventually and managed to spend a glorious half an hour on the Isle of Iona, it really was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been; I couldn’t help but keep comparing it to the scenery out of a Studio Ghibli film.



 Still from Spirited Away

Being a life-long veggie, the small amount of sea food restaurants to choose from in Tobermory admittedly filled me with horror (especially because I love food), but bizarrely, I actually managed to have a super delicious meal in Cafe Fish, a fish restaurant (duh). I’ll upload a picture of it soon, basically it was all yummy vegetables on sticks with grilled mozzarella with a lemony coriandery sauce, and omg it was yum. I’m planning on recreating it once I get my exams out the way.


 The next day we drove back to Edinburgh, ‘back to reality’, I was sad to leave. Before we caught the ferry we drove up to an old castle and ran around, David shot more arrows, I sat in the peace and warmth and looked out over the sea, it was so lovely. The drive home I fell asleep most the way and as soon as we arrived back home was hit by a longing to go back. I cannot wait to get my exams out the way so I can plan more short trips, just shows you, living in Scotland isn’t all bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment